Summer 2020 Residencies Intake call will open September 2019
Thank you for your interest in our Residencies. Our 2019 Intakes have now closed. Please watch this space for future intakes announcements, or subscribe to our newsletter. If you applied to our 2019 Intakes, thank you for your participation! We are now reviewing the applications and will respond to all applicants in December 2018. In the meantime, we will reach out to individual applicants as necessary to resolve any questions that may arise in the adjudication process. Boca del Lupo invites artists and companies to apply for our Summer 2019 Residency Program, which will provide successful applicants with:
- One week of free, exclusive use of Performance Works
- Free use of extensive equipment resources
- Mentorship from senior Boca del Lupo artistic staff
- Technical support from senior Boca del Lupo technical staff
for the creation and development of new artistic work.
Emerging and established artists are welcome to apply, and can come from a variety of artistic disciplines (theatre, dance, music, performance art, visual art) provided there is a performative component to the proposed work.
This competitive intake process will reflect Boca del Lupo’s mission, vision and purpose for managing Performance Works by advancing these priorities:
- To support new work; production, presentation, and creation of new Canadian and international performances
- To support projects by and for people of colour, mixed race and indigenous heritage while seeking a representative balance from across the spectrum of gender, ability and class
- To support work that is new and innovative in form; beyond traditional or conventional formal boundaries, taking risks and experimenting
Not all applications must necessarily exhibit all three or even one of these priority features to be considered; however, applications that share in any of these priorities are strongly encouraged.
If you are interested in the possibility of a sharing residency space and time with another company, consider applying as co-applicants, indicating it in your form responses, or simply your willingness to share space if you would like Boca del Lupo to suggest potential space sharers, should that be desirable.
To apply, complete our online application form linked at the bottom of this page, which will require some basic information, as well as a longer project description you can upload to us. To help you plan your application, the specific responses you will need to have ready for the long answer section are:
- Bios of all artists involved in the residency; 3 sentences per artist
- Company bio, if applicable; 3 sentences
- Clear articulation of your practice and what you will be investigating (e.g., but not limited to, socially and/or community-engaged practice, installation, micro performance, etc.); 3 paragraphs
- Proposal describing a) the work to be explored during the residency; b) the goals for the project and for the residency; c) any other additional information that you feel would strengthen your application, such as articulating relevance/urgency of work, etc.; 3-5 paragraphs
- Please provide a two to three sentence description of the project and what you intend to work on for publicity purposes for successful applications.
- Gathering many people with busy schedules can be challenging, especially for working artists. Please articulate your planned schedule to ensure you will be able to make the best use of the space in the time you have it.
- What summer 2019 dates work best for you? Please specify multiple date ranges if possible.
- Are you interested in the possibility of sharing your residency space with other artists/companies, and if so, do you have co-applicants in mind, or would you like Boca del Lupo to propose potential sharers?
Should Your Application Be Successful
Successful applicants will be contacted directly by the Boca del Lupo team for a consultation about the project so that the residency can be customized to the company or artist’s needs. We can also provide letters of support to successful applicants for government grants for development, travel and accommodation costs. A minimum of three weeks’ notice is required for letter requests.
As part of the residency program, artists complete an invited showing on the final Thursday. This showing is not meant to be of a finished product, but rather of a work in progress. The invitations are a combination of yours and Boca del Lupo’s. A detailed description of this showing will accompany notification of acceptance to the program.
Some Notable Past Residencies
Photo credit: Le Voyage at World Stage Design in Taipei, July 2017. Left to Right: Lindsay Bell, Melania Radelicki, Monique Corbeil, Jordan Lloyd Watkins, James Coomber, Corwin Ferguson, and April Viczko
Boca del Lupo thanks Canadian Heritage, the Canada Council for the Arts, the City of Vancouver, CMHC Granville Island, and the BC Arts Council for support of this program.